Re: Important Stuff They Don't Teach In Tech Writing School

Subject: Re: Important Stuff They Don't Teach In Tech Writing School
From: Lee Hunter <lee -dot- hunter -at- hum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:18:22 -0400

written_by -at- juno -dot- com wrote:

As I understand the term, an advocate is the person or the group that
goes to bat for you when all else fails. A lawyer is an advocate, for
example. It might be the consumer advocate who helps a gas company
customer, when the gas company refuses to. Perhaps advocates are those
who will be on your side when a problem crops up. A writer should not be
considered an advocate.

Being an advocate doesn't necessarily mean going to court for someone or marching in the streets. It just means speaking up when you see something that needs to be addressed. In a development team there are ways to do that appropriately and ways that are inappropriate.

As a writer and editor I have to see the application from the user's point of view. If there's something about the UI or functionality that's not going to work for the user I log it as a bug. Anyone who does that is looking out for the interests of the user and could be considered an advocate for the user.

It's not my job to decide whether the bug is worth fixing, but it's certainly my job to flag a potential problem.

Lee Hunter - Technical Editor & Information Architect

------ http://www.hum.com ------- 613-282-1904 ------

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com