Re: Why so few medical techwriters

Subject: Re: Why so few medical techwriters
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:20:30 -0700 (PDT)

--------------------------------
Felice Albala wrote:
The medical writer ads I see around here usually require a degree in science/biology/chemistry or the like, and some companies look for an RN.

and then wrote:
I would recommend finishing your education.

I'm wondering if I should take an extra year to obtain my master's in writing first, or find a job in the field sooner rather than later.

Maybe I'm missing something here, I haven't really been following this thread, but if most of the medical writing ads you see require a degree in science/biology/chemistry or the like, then why should Shanon get a masters in _writing_? How does that provide the qualifications she'll need to get one of these jobs? Wouldn't she best be served by picking up a degree in a science instead of getting the higher degree? (all arguments of long-term increases in salary aside)

Maybe I missed something in the earlier part of this thread, but this advice doesn't make sense to me........

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com