q.v.?

Subject: q.v.?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:00:03 -0400

Michael Strickland wondered: <<How do you handle "q.v."?>>

I eliminate it with extreme prejudice and replace it with something the average reader can be expected to understand. It's a term that no longer has any place outside a literature thesis (even there it's probably pretentious and in many cases should actually be cf.) or a doctor's instructions to a pharmacist, and given what I've read about mangled prescriptions, it probably has no place there either.

<<"And so on" is used in place of "etc.," "for example" in place of "e.g.," "that is" in place of "i.e."...>>

All of these are reasonable substitutions for a general audience, and probably even for a technical or educated audience. Although the Latin is familiar to a reasonable number of readers, you can bet it's unfamiliar to a greater number. Moreover, a good half of the authors whose works I've edited don't know the difference between i.e. and e.g., which makes me less confident than I used to be about continuing to use them in my main work, scientific editing.

<<An example with alternative citations in context (from a glossary):
MEDIA ITEM ID
An ID corresponding to a media item (q.v.). or
An ID corresponding to a media item (which see). or
An ID corresponding to a media item (see media item).>>

Go with the last one. It's unmistakable as a cross-reference to the vast majority of readers. The first is opaque at best, and the second begs the question "see what?", which probably isn't a good thing.

<<From a tech writing style perspective, the latter seems like the right choice, but it seems superfluous to repeat the term.>.

There's _useless_ redundancy, and there's _useful_ redundancy. The latter is a good thing to strive for, as in this case. Of course, were this an online document, you could eliminate the "see" entirely by replacing the key words with a hyperlink to the definition.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com