School vs experience... Was: Why so few medical techwriters

Subject: School vs experience... Was: Why so few medical techwriters
From: "France Baril" <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:40:56 -0400

All the time you spend in school is time you don't spend getting
experience. It is also a fact that all the money you spend in school is
lost if it doesn't get you a more interesting job (in terms of tasks
and/or money), unless you are going to school for the sake or love of
it. This is even more true if you consider the money you don't make
while in school.

At one point you have to ask yourself: "Will experience bring me (and
later employers) more in terms of money and work quality then school?".

I'd be surprised if the answer was a strong yes. I'd say it depends on
timing, your local market and on how good of a job you can find without
the degree (especially if you are thinking of doing a Master's degree).
Sometimes learning on the job is better or the same as learning in
school and it is always cheaper.

France