Re: Transition from employee to consultant--any gotchas?

Subject: Re: Transition from employee to consultant--any gotchas?
From: peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:51:20 -0600

Dick wrote:

> That was it. I answered a few questions, most of which she already had
> the answers to in front of her. I didn't get referred to a Massachusetts
> phone number. I didn't get sent into voice-automated hell. I didn't have
> to speak with a supervisor. Times have certainly changed since the last
> time I applied for UI benefits. Wow!

And that is much different than here in the Midwest as well. My sister
was laid off last December, and her severence lasted until February. The
severence was considered a wage--the Unemployment Office here told her she
could not collect until it was completely paid out. She got unemployment
only after the severence *and* the additional two-week waiting period they
require here where one receives NO check of any kind. I believe their
theory must be that it builds character. :)

And here she had to file, go to the Unemployment Office, fill out her
paperword, interview there, and of course check in every week until she
found new work--or six months, which is how long the UI pays out here.

It sounds as if each state has its own rules.

pam

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com