Re: Why so few medical techwriters

Subject: Re: Why so few medical techwriters
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:45:53 -0400

Jones, Donna wrote:
> -----Bonnie Granat wrote:-----
>
> No, but if you start out in midlife in the technical writing field
> with a master's in technical writing, you can within a short time get
up to
> the level of a mid-career technical writer.
>
> Out of the starting gate, I was just another intern, even though I
> had a master's degree. But moving up took less than three years. My
second job in the field came with a $19,000 annual salary increase over
my first job.

> I disagree with the need for a master's degree.

I don't think that a master's degree is needed. The question I was
addressing was this one from Michael Strickland:

>Will a Master's in writing gain any significant advantage in
obtaining employment or any significant increase in base salary or
starting position?

A bachelor's works
> just as well and probably keeps you from looking "overqualified" for
> certain positions. Some places may not call you if they think you'll
> be out of their price range (whether you are or not). The only
> positions that I have seen advertised that required an M.S. rather
> than a B.S. didn't sound like a job that I wanted anyway.

I totally agree with you. I was speaking more to the question of the
value, in general, of a master's degree. I probably wasn't direct
enough. A master's can help a person catch up if they're new to the
field.

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA