Re: Previous employer contacts

Subject: Re: Previous employer contacts
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:36:28 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com>

> At end of application, there is a blanket statement saying in effect, that
> they may contact references, past employers, and *anyone* else who might
> know the applicant and ask them questions about "employment and *personal*
> history."
> I'm certain employment laws differ from state to state and I am not asking
> whether the laws having an applicant sign this?

Unless you're sufficiently active in some national or local group related
to your work or personal life or the prospective employer is the Dept of
Homeland Security, it's not likely that a prospective employer will make
much of an effort find "anyone" to contact other than the names you provide.
If you are involved in such a group, then do you really want to work for
someone who gives a s**t about your personal history outside of your
ability to do the job for them? I'd sign it, YMMV.

> Second question: I see online applications asking for one's SS#. Do
> employers really believe this is an acceptable risk for applicants to type
> their SS# into an online form? Do any of you do that?

Nope. I always leave the space blank, or if it's requested in the listing
say that I will be happy to provide that information at time of interview.
Again, it may cause certain employers to exclude, but even when I am
unemployed, there are some employers I feel better off excluded by.

Gene Kim-Eng

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com