Re: School vs experience... Was: Why so few medical techwriters

Subject: Re: School vs experience... Was: Why so few medical techwriters
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:18:18 -0700

A number of my undergrad classmates went on after the BS for
grad work. The most notable of these was one who went for her
PhD. At the start of the program, her advisor addressed her and
her classmates and told them that if they were there to increase
their earning power they should drop out now and get jobs,
because they would be extremely fortunate if any increase in their
incomes over their entire careers ever made up for the expense
and the lost income of the years they were about to spend pursuing
their doctorates. Fast forward 25 years later, and today she is a
research fellow and her salary is just about even with what I'm
making as a tech pubs manager with my BS. However, she's doing
work she loves that she could never have gotten into without that
PhD. So as I said before, advanced degrees often do not produce
tangible benefits from an earnings POV, but there are potentially
other benefits besides earnings.

Gene Kim-Eng