RE: Installation guide for Enterprise application

Subject: RE: Installation guide for Enterprise application
From: "King, Shelly" <Shelly -dot- King -at- kanisa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:45:52 -0700

Thank you all for your replies! I realize that in my effort to be brief, I left out some crucial information. The installation of our product is actually very simple, only six steps. It's the installation of all the prereqs and other integrated systems that takes so much time. It's the whole thing (installation of all apps and integration) that management thinks should be 30 minutes. What I'm being asked to do is document the installation and setup of all the prerequisites and other apps which which we integrate. This is six different apps outside of our product. The installation and setup of these apps are completely separate from our product and must be purchased separately by our customers. Because the configuration with our app and the others is highly customized, I say in the install guide that we support all configurations as long as they meet xxx requirements and provide an example of a common configuration. What management wants me to do is provide details on installation and setup of all the other apps, including screenshots. My viewpoint, and the rest of engineering, is that a person with a high level of skill (our PS team or a partner) will need to do the setup, not because of our product but because of all the integration points and that the documentation provided with the other apps is sufficient. This all got stirred up because the sales engineers, who don't meet the skill set requirements stated in the docs, can't do the set up themselves using the documentation from the other apps. OK, sorry, I'm bordering on venting.

Many thanks!

Shelly