RE: Installation guide for Enterprise application

Subject: RE: Installation guide for Enterprise application
From: "Greg Thompson" <gthompson -at- conformia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:32:55 -0400

Shelly:

You are more than bordering on venting. You are bordering on insanity.
:)

Don't worry, I would be too and have been,

If the prereq/integration installations take more than 30 min for even
experienced IT people, then you cannot meet your requirement because you
have no control over third party software or documentation in terms of
accuracy or usability. If you prereq/integration installs have to be
done by sales engineers, then they either need more training or the 30
min requirement for them to install the app needs to be expanded.

I work here in the Bay Area also, currently contracting at an enterprise
company called Conformia. My first task was to document (and do!!!) an
install of their enterprise application, which included third party
software. Not an easy take to install with the existing documentation
which seemed to have written at such a high level of detail that the IT
person who was doing the install would be expected to provide many of
the details of the install as it related to his/her experience with
third party products.

I didn't have that experience with this set of third party products, so
I felt like your sales engineers.

When a product has been marketed as yours has, it is hard to adjust
management's expectations with reality.

Greg