Re: Question On Creating An Outline.

Subject: Re: Question On Creating An Outline.
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

Bonnie:

Let me clarify my question. I think of a document's
outline as being a high-level design. Now for
software products, the input to the process of
creating a design is various analysis models. What is
the typical input used in the process of creating a
document outline (i.e., document design)?

Thanks,

Tony Markatos
--- Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote:

> Tony Markos wrote:
> > Question For All:
> >
> > What techniques do Tech Writers use to plan their
> > outline?
> >

> An outline isn't planned. An outline is a *planning*
> document.
>
> You just start creating pieces of it. Sometimes you
> know you have three
> main areas. Sometimes you know what a small piece of
> one area should be
> like. Write that down. Plug it in later to the final
> structure.
>
> You're a sculptor when you create an outline. You
> are not working in the
> marble, though. You are working on a sketch.
>
> Bonnie Granat
> www.GranatEdit.com
> Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
> Mobile: 617-319-7461