RE: Intro to Instr. Design for CBT

Subject: RE: Intro to Instr. Design for CBT
From: "Janet Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:32:50 -0500

I wrote:

> I'm looking for pointers to a practical introduction to
> instructional design for computer-based training.

I received only one reply from this list, with a pointer to:
http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~mryder/itc_data/idmodels.html
However, this page is mainly links to other pages about ID theory, rather
than the hands-on, practical information I was looking for.

>From my local STC chapter email list, I got the suggestions below. I'm
posting them here for the benefit of anyone searching the archives on this
topic in the future.

---

I found some publications on this topic at astd.org
http://www.astd.org/astd/store - check out their fire sale

---

For not-too-much theory and just-enough practical information and a few
models, I'd recommend Saul Carliner's Designing E-Learning.

---

The most practical book I've found is William Horton's "Designing
Web-Based Training" (Wiley, 2000). He's _so_ real-world that his group
is giving a session called "PowerPoint: The eLearning Tool You Already
Have" at the eLearning Guild conference in October.

---

Robert Mager's theory of learning objectives is widely used. I think his
first book "Preparing Instructional Objectives" is a good place to start. It
comes as part of a "six-pack" of books but it contains the essential
elements.

Here's a decent (and relatively short) web page that encapsulates the
process:
http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/sat3.html

---

I wouldn't recommend Mager's book for e-learning specifics. It's a very
general overview of what Mager thinks a good objective consists of. Not a
bad book, IMO, but not at all specific to e-learning.

Also - I think the web page (above) is actually better than the actual Mager
materials. I could jump into a 20-minute rant, but I won't. ;-)

---

(From Debby Kalk)
Please forgive some self promotion:

My textbook, Real World Instructional Design, has just been published by
Wadsworth and is intended for the beginning designer. My co-author is a
professor and I'm a practitioner and our goal was to provide novices with a
balance of theory and practice presented in a digestible format. It includes
many examples and, although it's not specifically about e-learning,
e-learning design requirements and applications run through the book.

Also, my co-author and I welcome feedback from students, instructors, and
practitioners. If you've read or used our book, we would love to hear from
you.

Janet Swisher
Senior Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc.