RE: similar, yet different

Subject: RE: similar, yet different
From: "Robert Milkovich" <RMilkovich -at- ADVANCEDUTILITY -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:11:22 -0400

Lisa, will you be using FrameMaker, or something else?

If you're using FrameMaker, you could use conditional text for those
situations where the enhanced functionality occurs, inline with the
text.

Adobe and Macromedia document this way all the time, to address the
needs of both Windows and Apple users. For example, the following
phrase:

"press CTRL-C^ or Option-C on a Mac^ to copy the content to the
clipboard"

The conditional text is the stuff between the ^ ^ symbols. When you
generate the basic document, you would get the following:

"press CTRL-C to copy the content to the clipboard"

If the number of variances isn't too great, then conditional, inline
text in a single document is easiest for both you and your users. If you
kept two documents, the majority of the content would be the same
between the two docs, which means that you would have to make changes in
two places at the next revision. Big hassle!! And easiest for your users
because they wouldn't have to look things up in an appendix located
somewhere away from the procedure they're using.

Good luck!

Roberto in Toronto