Re: Font Fondlers - The US Presidental Election Is in Your Hands!

Subject: Re: Font Fondlers - The US Presidental Election Is in Your Hands!
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:54:18 -0700 (PDT)

Speaking of "a little learning"...

I was actually *in* the Texas Army National Guard in 1972, working with a headquarters group. Thus, I was in and out of quite a few of the offices at Camp Mabry, the Guard headquarters.

At the time, there were very few Selectrics of any kind. Those that were there were usually in offices of very senior officers--full Colonel or higher--and none that I saw were proportional-spacing machines. Other commands away from Austin were often more poorly equipped. Those that were there there, including the ones I had occasional access to in the public relations unit, were fixed-width machines equipped with type balls having Courier 10 pt., Elite 12 pt., or (for our use as a special use unit) Orator.

Aside from the fact that the colonel's family and others have pointed out that he did not type, there are so many discrepancies on the documents in question that I hardly know where to start.

Let me point out just one--every official document produced by a military officer was signed with a signature block that followed a prescribed format, depending upon the command. If you look at Col. Killian's known authentic documents, you will see that he followed that pattern every time. Below his typed name, was his rank expressed as LTCOL, followed by the designation Texas Air National Guard (or its abbreviated form...it's been a few days since I looked at these). If the officer is in the chain of command, it will normally also include his position.

Any clerk in the military--which I was (briefly) during my active service--will automatically add the relevant signature block on any document that the officer in question is to sign. For example, when I prepared official press releases for Fort Polk, I still remember the signature block of its then-commanding general:

John G. Wheelock
MG, USA
Commanding
USATC & Fort Polk
Fort Polk, LA

In the case of these doubtlessly forged CBS documents, significant elements of their content are completely without credibility...regardless of the fonts issue.

Finally, regardless of whether you support the President or not, I think it is in extremely poor taste to refer to him as "Shrub."

David

-----Original Message from jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com-----

> It might be the end of John Kerry and Dan Rather, but that's all.

Or Shrub and Rove and O'Reilly, but I think Andrew's comment brings up an
interesting point--the attention to fonts and superscripts and spacing and
proportionality in the hands of "amateurs" can be dangerous. A little
learning and all. As we all know, the IBM Selectric with superscript and
Times Roman were around long before these docs were written. As Yogi Berra
said, "You could look it up." I know that my '50s manual Royal typewriter
has superscript keys for "th" and "st" and more....

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com