Re: Placement of cautions in procedures

Subject: Re: Placement of cautions in procedures
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:31:36 -0700 (PDT)

Janet,

I agree completely. In fact, I prefer where possible to include any equipment beyond that which may be assumed in a particular context, supplies and replacement parts that may be needed at the beginning of the procedure.

Even though a worker may be assumed to have safety equipment as part of the regular toolkit, though, I think it is prudent to always include this in the list of required items.

In procedural writing, if given my preference I like a sort of Information Mapping style, with the preliminary list of "What you will need to perform this procedure" enumerated. In cases, for example, when particular gaskets or other pieces that are destroyed upon replacement or where a specific lubricant or the like may be required, I think this gives a thorough checklist to be sure that everything needed is assembled before beginning the procedure itself.

In some cases, a procedure may consist of many sub-procedures. In this case, the up-front listing of equipment to be needed may be less helpful--especially when one or more of the smaller sub-procedures may be performed independently. In such cases, the specific items needed for each sub-procedure should likely be repeated at the top of each of these sections.

David

-----Original Message from Janet Swisher swisher -at- enthought -dot- com-----

In addition to a caution before each dangerous step, in a case like this
where the caution involves additional safety equipment (protective eyewear),
a blanket caution at the beginning of the procedure, listing all required
safety items, seems like a good idea. That way the users know to get their
safety glasses before they start disassembling the thingamajig, rather than
having to stop in the middle to find them.

Janet Swisher
Senior Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc.
1-512-536-1057