RE: References

Subject: RE: References
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:56:13 -0700

I've considered contacting the companies that I have worked for and speaking to the manager that took over for my reference. Maybe ask them to review the work that I had done and ask if they would be willing to be a reference. I've also thought about tracking down the references that moved on. Any suggestions on how to build a reliable pool of references?

In the past, I always took one reference with me when I completed a contract. ("Do you mind my using you for a reference?"). I was generally given a home number, cell number, address, and such.

So, it may be too late for that. But, it is never too late to find your references.

You probably don't need more than 3 or 4. Start by "googling" their names. If your previous managers were also contractors, they may have resumes on the Internet.

Do you know what agencies they worked for? Contacting a contracting agency might get you an email address.

Or, guess at the email address. If you know the company where a person might work now, try something like john -dot- jones -at- company -dot- com -dot- At the worst, your email will be rejected. But, with a little savvy guessing, you might come up with an email.

Good luck!

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com