RE: Enchanted Development Organizations Was: Re: Expectations too high?

Subject: RE: Enchanted Development Organizations Was: Re: Expectations too high?
From: "Bill Darnall" <darcom -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:11:34 -0700

Tony commented:

If you are a Tech Writer who attends developer
meetings, do you feel it is worth your time? As a
Technical Writer, the primary thing that I need is a
comprehensive integrated understanding of WHAT the
software does for the end-user.

However, it has always been my experience that such is
never talked about at developer meetings.

- - - - -

Tony,

I am sure it is different in different companies. Some companies like
for writers to be an integral part of the development process. For
example, here is an extract from a job request that came in about five
minutes ago:

" . . . seeking a senior Technical Writer . . . for commercial
software products.

The candidate must have the ability to participate in the product
development process with the product team (including Engineering, QA,
Marketing), use and test software products, give feedback and input on
user interface and design."

Bill D.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com