RE: water intoxication (was RE: Carpal Tunnel)

Subject: RE: water intoxication (was RE: Carpal Tunnel)
From: "Bruce Evans" <bruce -dot- evans -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:42:46 -0400

Any minimum or maximum standard of fluid intake is rubbish. Our fluid
requirements are determined by our size, our activity, the ambient
temperature, our health and multiple other factors. The only true measure of
proper hydration in a healthy person is thirst. If you're thirsty, you need
to drink more, if you're not, you don't have to.

Water intoxication occurs only in abnormal states--either abnormal endocrine
disorders, rare brain disorders and major psychiatric illnesses. The sight
of hordes of healthy adults walking around with bottles of water only
strengthens the view that we've become a self-obsessed lot who haven't
outgrown the baby bottle.

Bruce Evans M.D.
Family Physician and Technical Writer
"Never Underestimate the power of very stupid people in large numbers."