RE: RE: water intoxication (was RE: Carpal Tunnel)

Subject: RE: RE: water intoxication (was RE: Carpal Tunnel)
From: "Bruce Evans" <bruce -dot- evans -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:16:25 -0400

"Susan W.
Gallagher
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:39 PM
To: TECHWR-L

"I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I've had more
than my fair share of interaction with modern medicine,"

I've had my fair share of interactions with cars but I'm not a mechanic.

"I consulted with a nutritional biochemist
for over two years and learned a lot. In my experience, only
one MD had enough knowledge about nutrition to tell me he
didn't know about nutrition and recommend the biochemist.
Most MDs know very little about the role that food and
suppliments play in the quest for good health. (No offence,
Bruce!) <g>"

I take no offence but the rant that physicians know nothing about nutrition
is nonsense. Obviously a properly trained dietitian knows more about setting
up the details of a diabetic diet than I do but I certainly know the theory
behind what she's doing. It's generally those with an axe to
grind--pseudo-nutritionists who're selling a product, juicers who're selling
a product or writers who've just put out a book--who claim physicians know
nothing about nutrition.

I'm afraid your knowledge of physiology is a bit shaky. I hope your
biochemist's is better. The kidneys and urine are not part of your degestive
system. When you drink more water, the kidney eliminates mainly more water.
Your kidneys aren't a simple filter, it's a very complex chemical and
physical process. As well, over half the "toxins" you mention are eliminated
by your liver where they are chemically converted into other sustances and
destroyed.

Bruce Evans M.D.
Family Physician and Technical Writer
"Never Underestimate the power of very stupid people in large numbers."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com