Re: RE: water intoxication (was RE: Carpal Tunnel)

Subject: Re: RE: water intoxication (was RE: Carpal Tunnel)
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:38:54 -0400

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I've had more
than my fair share of interaction with modern medicine, so
I'm gonna chime in. I consulted with a nutritional biochemist
for over two years and learned a lot. In my experience, only
one MD had enough knowledge about nutrition to tell me he
didn't know about nutrition and recommend the biochemist.
Most MDs know very little about the role that food and
suppliments play in the quest for good health. (No offence,
Bruce!) <g>

Toxins accumulate in your body and are removed via your
digestive system, e.g. when you urinate. The more water
you drink, the more you urinate, the faster you remove
toxins from your body. It isn't rocket science.

Water helps to flush toxins from your system because it doesn't
contribute to the toxic waste you're carrying around. I.e.,
it doesn't contain artificial color, caffine, ... This is
part of the stuff you're trying to get rid of by drinking
the water, so Doh! <g> Soda, coffee, tea all don't count.
They may quench your thirst -- that's not the same as flushing
toxins from your system. Other beverages may be beneficial --
for example, green tea is full of antioxidants and, if
brewed covered for 20 minutes, also has thermogenic properties --
but it's not water and doesn't work like water does.

Don't be fooled by substitues!

My two cents
-Sue Gallagher

> Beth said:

> I agree that there's no "one size fits all" amount of fluid intake that is
> correct for every person. But we do need guidelines and rules of thumb... A person can quench their
> thirst with cola, but I doubt that's the right thing to do.
>
> Our responsibility as technical writers is ... to provide
> information that is important to the end user even when the experts don't
> think we need to know it. Not one of the doctors I've ever consulted over my
> lifetime has ever asked me if I'm drinking enough water.

> Any minimum or maximum standard of fluid intake is rubbish. Our fluid
> requirements are determined by ... multiple other factors. The only true measure of
> proper hydration in a healthy person is thirst...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com