PDFMaker - custom page size SOLUTION

Subject: PDFMaker - custom page size SOLUTION
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:42:57 -0700

[This is my third attempt to post this message. I apologize if multiple copies are distributed.]

I, too, use Word 2000 and Acrobat 5 (5.0.5).

We produced documents with custom page sizes for a long time before
converting to standard page dimensions. Here's the workaround for this
known Acrobat 5 problem:

1. In Word, set the document's page dimensions as desired.

2. From Word's File menu, choose Print.

3. Make sure Acrobat Distiller is the selected printer.

(You MAY be able to select a different printer, but this worked
for us every time, regardless of what printers were actually
available.)

4. In the Print dialog box, click the Properties button.

5. In the Acrobat Distiller Properties dialog box, select one of
the custom paper size icons, and click the the Custom button.

6. In the Custom Defined Size dialog box, set the width and length
to the dimensions you want.

7. Click OK to close the Custom Defined Size dialog box.

8. Click OK to close the Acrobat Distiller Properties dialog box.

9. Click Close (*not* OK--you don't really want to print.) to close
the Print dialog box.

IMPORTANT: The modifications you've just made last only as long as
you keep Word open. In other words, you'll need to repeat
these steps next time you open Word and want to create a
PDF with custom page dimensions.

Once you've done this, you can use the PDFMaker commands or buttons
("Convert to Adobe PDF [and E-mail]") to create your PDF files.

Stuart wrote:
> Word (any version) if Adobe Acrobat installation was with the word PDF
> maker macros installed, should have an 'Adobe PDF button on the toolbar
> that allows access to the PDF maker settings

On my system, the two Acrobat buttons in Word simply create (or create and send) a PDF file. As Stuart's subsequent instructions indicated, you have to use the Change Conversion Settings command on the Acrobat menu.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com