RE: Word to FrameMaker Conversion Utilities?

Subject: RE: Word to FrameMaker Conversion Utilities?
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:41:53 -0500

Hugh,

I used Filtrix in the past to get documents into Frame with pretty good results, but that was a few years ago. Looks like they have a free demo on their site, so you might be able to convert this document without having to buy the program outright. (If it works and you need to do this again later, you can always buy it then.) What I can tell you based on past experience is that there is likely to still be some cleanup necessary after using Filtrix. You aren't going to get a page-for-page conversion.

If Filtrix doesn't work or is too costly, you might want to consider simply importing the Word document (by copy) into Frame and using the Paragraph and Character Tools from Silicon Prairie to convert the paragraphs in Frame (http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/). These plugins are shareware with single-license fees of $10 each--very reasonable. Of course, this method assumes that the paragraphs were properly tagged in Word rather than all using "Normal." If that's the case, you'll have to do a lot of paragraph-by-paragraph reformatting. Contact me offline if you need help.

Good luck!
Donna