Re: Training alternatives

Subject: Re: Training alternatives
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:13:17 +0000

Del Simcox wrote:

What should I do to prepare myself to be qualified for tech writing work?

Find some tech writing work to do. If you can, do some small contracts. If you can't, do some work for an open source project, or for a volunteer organization, so that when a potential employer asks what you have done, you have something to point to.

That's not to say that academic qualifications are pointless You should learn some useful things if you take classes. Some credentials may also be a plus on your resume. However, even when I was first starting out, employers were far more more interested in experience than classes, and I don't think that's changed.

After all, a writer is one who writes. The simplest way to prove that you can write is to show something you've written.

Of course, you'll get some samples from taking classes. But they probably won't carry as much weight as a real-life project

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"I suppose I fall somewhere between