RE: Training alternatives

Subject: RE: Training alternatives
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 15:43:16 -0500

Dell,

It sounds like my situation is like yours. I am probably younger though
and I do more technical communication-related things.

I am taking an online course and will take more.

It's your trade too. A few online courses in the tech communication area
might well help, but I tend to agree with Bruce Byfield, who just posted
to this thread. A degree or certificate probably is not necessary for
you.

The U. of Minnesota at Minneapolis has a good department for this (I
think it's the Department of Rhetoric). But I don't know if they offer
online courses. Maybe.

The U. of California at Berkeley, and the other U. of California
campuses, have good online programs. They're expensive though. A lot of
other online schools exist.

Jim Jones

+ tech writing/editing/illustration
+ Chinese, German, Spanish to English
+ cartooning + schematics + other
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
STC, IEEE PCS

Chicago STC Technical Workshop Coordinator
Check http://www.stc-chicago.org, Intro Framemaker October 30

http://www.tinyurl.com/4arjc

Del Simcox wrote, in part,

...weeks because I am interested in getting a foothold as a technical
writer. I have an engineering degree, and have experience using some of
the software tools of your trade - FrameMaker, Word, and Adobe Creative
Suite. In addition, I have authored a few documents and websites for a
former
employer. That's where I discovered my interest in writing and
illustrating.

My goal is to become qualified to get contract work that will keep me
occupied well into my retirement years - which is only a few short
years away. I live in the Minneapolis area, and ...

What should I do...Should I go back to school and get a minor...Should I
get certificate from an on-line institution...(Brooklyn College ...)
What might be an appropriate career path ...?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com