Re: Press (printing) Options

Subject: Re: Press (printing) Options
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 15:58:40 -0400

Anne Allaire Burke wrote:

I'm working as the first and only tech writer for a company. I've got
minimal experience dealing with printing options & vendors. In the past,
all of the details have been previously worked out.

However, now I'm in the position to research and make the best decision
regarding printing options. I'm curious about what those options are??
What exactly is docutech printing? Is this the best way to go for user
guides?

Any other words of wisdom on the matter?

Anne,

Determining your printing options is an exercise in asking and answering a number of questions, working down a decision tree.

The first question is: Why do you need to print anything? That is, can the information you need to convey be better distributed to users electronically in some form, or is there some benefit (aside from always having done it that way) to putting squiggly marks on paper?

The next question, which you have to answer for each job you intend to print, is: How many copies?

The answer to that question determines the range of technological options available to you, which, in turn, helps determine optimal page size, paper choices, and a number of other matters.

But if you can focus on the first two questions and then set up a meeting with a print broker (a sales agent who represents several local service providers with different specialties) to discuss your needs and your options, you will be a better educated buyer.

Do return here with more detailed questions once you get your feet wet.

HTH,

Dick

--
If I keep putting my link here, Google will eventually find me ...
http://www.dmargulis.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com