Re: MOU -- has someone written one ?

Subject: Re: MOU -- has someone written one ?
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:33:37 -0400

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:38:04 -0400, Lucero, Peggy A. wrote:

> I've worked out an oral agreement with the college of comp. sci at a local
> State U to provide our website, NMO, with some usability evaluation help.
>
> I now wish to formalize this oral arrangement with a MOU. I've never
> written one.

Hi, Peggy.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is a quasi-contractual legal
document, and if you've never written one before, you're probably
going to want to get assistance from local legal counsel on format and
content. I know from previous defense contracting experience (long
ago) that government entities often use MOUs to document relationships
with universities or other research resources--which is why, I'm
guessing, you've been asked to write one.

There is probably a standard or approved format for MOUs at your site,
and in my opinion you are probably better advised to try to chase that
down locally than to use someone else's format.

Best regards,

Barry
--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com