Down time

Subject: Down time
From: Leigh Price <price_leigh -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question for the folks who write software
documentation. How much down time do you typically
have between projects? The company that I currently
work for releases a major version about once a year,
with a couple of "point" releases in between. I am
finding that the time in between finishing one release
and starting the next is growing, with the result that
projects end up feeling like death marches. For
instance, we finished a point release in mid-July
and have been are still waiting for rollouts to begin
for the next release. Is two months of down time
unusual?

In many ways, this amount of time between projects is
nice--we have accomplished a lot of things that would
otherwise fall off of the radar. In other ways, it
isn't so great. I try not to dwell on the fact that,
two years ago, I was half done with my writing
assignments for a product released in the first
quarter of the following year -- the same timeline for
the project I am waiting to start working on.

Thanks,

Leigh

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com