Friday, art, spellcheck, and bad business

Subject: Friday, art, spellcheck, and bad business
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:35:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all. Checked the archives on this to make sure it hasn't been mentioned already....so if I missed it, sorry in advance.

Apparently an artist mispelled the names of some famous people in a mosaic she was commisioned to make for a public library. Here's the story:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/9870064.htm?1c

This one has pictures of the mosaic
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object.cgi?object=/chronicle/pictures/2004/10/08/mn_mural005mjm.jpg&paper=chronicle&file=MNGEO95U381.DTL&directory=/c/a/2004/10/08&type=news

I'm not bringing this up as an example of the benefits of spellchecking, or really anything to do with grammar. We all make mistakes like that. No, I'm bringing this up as an example of bad business practice. I mean, I don't think any of us would charge a client to fix a mistake that we made, blame our craft for making the mistake, then refuse to fix the problem. I'm assuming none of us would, at least. Yikes!

Enjoy your weekend.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com