Re: Tech Comm Survey

Subject: Re: Tech Comm Survey
From: "Robin Kelsey" <robinkelsey -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:12:17 -0400

I'm a relative newcomer, but maybe my perspective will be useful too:

1. How long have you been a technical communicator?

5 years. I am the sole writer at a small software company.

2. Have you noticed changes in software programs that you use? Explain
briefly.

I started out using Forehelp, which went out of business, and MS Word. Now I
use AuthorIT exclusively.

3. Have you noticed a change in salary? Explain briefly.

I received yearly increases for the first two years of my career. Since then
the company I work for has frozen all salaries. In a sense I receive less
each year because my pay does not rise with inflation. I hope this won't go
on forever.

4. Do the tasks that you complete now vary from what you did when you began
working in this field? Explain briefly.

When I started there was still a printed manual, but I was never required to
revise it. Now it has been discontinued and I create only online help and
PDFs, which are supplied on the product CD.

5. How many times have you changed jobs or relocated?
Zero.

Thank you for your time.
Tricia
tlittle08 -at- hotmail -dot- com