Re: Tech Comm Survey (salary freeze)

Subject: Re: Tech Comm Survey (salary freeze)
From: "diotima" <diotima -at- myway -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:03:28 -0400 (EDT)

well i suppose it's up to me to supply the cliche:

money is not everything!

i'm working my butt off (can i say that?) part time for a start-up, making less than i ever have....and i LOVE every day of it!

my schedule is flexible, allowing me to grab a second degree; i can work from home if i wish (but chose to come in); i work with people i like; i'm doing and learning much more than simply writing and editing; i'm highly respected, highly valued, and strongly needed; i got to launch and produce the company intranet; there's a nice doggie in the office; my ceo is way cool and i learn a lot from him; every day is casual; there's a gazillion things that need to written and done; much of my job description has been "written" by me; the company is going in the right direction; i've got two computers at my desk and have a mac and pc at another cubical for q.c.; my ceo just today gave me accolades....

yes, of course, money is nice. but if you make the big bucks and come home every day feeling like you want to kick the dog, what's so great about that?

cheers,

diotima

--------

Robin,

Wow. You are definitely receiving a pay cut every year. There's no "in a

sense" about it. It's a fact. If you're hoping "this won't go on forever," I

get the impression you don't have any idea whether or not it will. IMHO, a

company that freezes salaries for a whopping three years and still can't

tell its employees when the freeze will be lifted is not worth working for.

I imagine there's a mad exodus out of your company's front entrance....

Best of luck to you, hope things improve.

--Mike

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com