RE: Another question to ponder

Subject: RE: Another question to ponder
From: "France Baril" <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:41:40 -0400

Differences are hard to overcome sometimes, especially when the rest of
the group seems to be homogeneous. I've been the youngest, I've been the
oldest (and I'm only 31), I've been the only woman, the only French
speaker... I have had collegues who were the only black person, the only
one doing the Ramadan (must be hard with the smell of food all around at
lunch!), the oldest, the youngest, the only part time employee, the only
contractual outsider, the only guy who cleans the office while everybody
else work with their computer. I could go on, but I think you get the
idea.

I found that the best way into an homogeneous group is to start one
person at the time. You might discover that the group is not as
homogeneous as you first thought. Your collegues do share a lot because
of their demography and in a group the most common denominator is the
one that comes out. However, once you find common interests with one,
two or three people in the group, you'll find that bonding with them
will be easier and the differences will tend to become less important.
Instead of being an "old" person with a bunch of "young kids", you'll be
the guy who shares good fishing tips with John, good restaurant
addresses with Sharon and talks about this new hot motorcycle model that
came out last month with Jerry.

Hope this help,

France

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com