RE: Managing help when multiple tools are in one GUI

Subject: RE: Managing help when multiple tools are in one GUI
From: "France Baril" <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:07:42 -0400

David, depending on how comfortable you are with technology, you could
look at XML and DITA. I have built a system based on the DITA
architecture that allows me to publish 18 different types of online
help, based on 6 user types (guest, reader, ..., admin) and 3 different
products (we have three simliar product that have different looks and
colors).

DITA, with conditional text, could actually help you manage the content
and indexes.

The secret behind DITA is that it seperates your information into small
content units that you can use or not in your different publications. In
my project, I included the expressions to use for indexing in my content
units, so that when a topic is available in a deliverable, the index
terms associated with it are too. When the topic is not part of a
deliverable, the index terms associated with it do not appear.

You can get more information about DITA at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita1/index.html.

I have not used DITA and XML to produce .chm files, but I have heard
that it can be done. You can send a post to this group for information:
dita-users -at- yahoogroups -dot- com -dot-

France Baril
Documentation architect/Architecte documentaire
I X I A S O F T

+1 514 279-4942
france -dot- baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com
[ www.ixiasoft.com ]

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com