Re: Managing help when multiple tools are in one GUI

Subject: Re: Managing help when multiple tools are in one GUI
From: mearro -at- msn -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:46:46 -0600

Walter writes:
> The company I work for is moving to a single encompassing Windows GUI for
> all of its products, which were previously developed, sold, installed, and
> accessed separately. Now the focus is on the suite of products.

Through a shared web interface, we're delivering several different
products as one platform or suite. To produce the Help, we follow a
process similar to what David Neely proposes.

I work with flat html files which I deliver as asp. Each html page
includes product-specific code. We created a table of contents using XML
and I will also add index functionality.

We're able to produce Help that looks like it is only one system & we only
display content for products that the individual user can access. I don't
know how this could be done working with a chm. Because of security issues
& other complications - I was already working with flat html files.

Mary

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com