Re: Virtual PC

Subject: Re: Virtual PC
From: William Gaffga <wilg -at- gibbscam -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:55:12 -0700

LSo am I correct in that you are looking to emulate Mac OS on PC?

PearPC - PPC architecture emulator <http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/>
SoftMac XPress <http://www.emulators.com/XP/index.htm>

Running Windows on Mac is far more common than vice versa. Pear PC is the only thing out there if you want to emulate OS X. SoftMac XPress seems to do OS 9. I am sure there are more out there, for example this past week "Cherry OS" has been a regular among the Mac discussion sites, but some claim it is little more than vapor-ware (heck, I couldn't access their site just now).

If yo are looking to doc the Mac interface or get screenshots, I don't know if I'd rely on an emulator. Wired has a story from May <http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,63456,00.html> where the Pear PC people say "It is 'not meant for productive use,' the pair caution on the site. 'Don't use it on important data, it WILL destroy them sooner or later!'" That was for the 0.1 release. They are now at 0.3.1. Reliable? Who knows.

If you need to do serious work, buy a refurbished or used iBook, iMac or G4 desktop. There are many sources for a good deal.

Will.

On Oct 19, 2004, at 5:02 AM, Sonja Marnewick wrote:

Anyone know where I can find a freeware similar to Microsoft's Virtual
PC, also for windows. I know there is one for Mac, but we are not using
apples...

Thanx

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com