Advice sought: deploying Sharepoint

Subject: Advice sought: deploying Sharepoint
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:21:20 -0400

My employer has asked me to take on administrative responsibilities
for a web-based document management system. Someone else will install
and maintain the server and the software, but as I understand it I'll
be the guy setting up users and privilege levels, developing a
folder/directory hierarchy, developing an approval process, and
generally managing the system on a day-to-day basis.

Background: We're already maintaining a large library of documents on
our intranet--isn't everyone? However, we desperately need a
full-fledged document management system that will give us version
control, revision control (check-in and check-out), some collaboration
features, etc.

The tool has already been chosen for us by our internal IT resources
staff: the company has apparently standardized on Microsoft's
Sharepoint (Portal Server 2003, I'm 99% sure.) There may well be
better tools, but this is the one we're going to be using.

I have worked with content management systems, and with software
version control systems, before. For the document management strategy
angle, I've been doing some reading and thinking about this for a
while, and I think I've got a pretty good idea of how I want to get
started.

I am *very* interested, however, in hearing from people who are
currently working with Sharepoint as a document management tool (and
other cool things you might be doing with it as well.) How did you
train your user community and get them used to using the system?

Recommendations for books to read, things to look out for, pitfalls to
avoid, etc. will be gratefully accepted, either on or off list.
Thanks!

-
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com