Re: Recommendation for a Reference Book or Site

Subject: Re: Recommendation for a Reference Book or Site
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:04:59 -0400

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:23:52 -0700 (PDT), Tony Pieri
<tonypieri -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good reference book or web site
> that covers legal requirements and standards for
> technical writing in the US?

<snip>

Tony,

There are no broad legal standards for technical writing in the US,
although ironically many technical writers have jobs here at least in
part because the documentation they produce helps shield their
employers from potential legal liability.

However, you will definitely find legal requirements and standards on
an industry, company and even job-specific level. I have worked in
the past for defense contractors and in the pharmaceutical industry,
and in both cases there were some pretty well-defined legal and
administrative standards that had to be followed for specific kinds of
documents and communications.

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com