RE: Creativity (was RE: Samples Query)

Subject: RE: Creativity (was RE: Samples Query)
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:25:44 -0400

Deciding "that the best way is to start with J" may not be "necessary," but it is the essence of the "creative problem solving" that employers and supervisors claim to value.

Some experts argue that generating a range creative solutions is _the_ key to good problem-solving (thus the appeal of the idea of brain-storming sessions).

Jim Shaeffer

> Bonnie writes:
> > Creativity is a part of every human problem-solving
> > activity, including technical writing.
>
> I think creativity typically involves coming up with
> new options, whereas problem-solving typically involves
> identifying the best of the already available options.
>
> If you need to explain A, B, C, and D, and after
> careful analysis you decide that the best way is to
> start with C, that's problem solving. If you decide
> that the best way is to start with J, that's creativity
> and, in my experience, it's seldom necessary in
> technical writing.
>

> Mark L. Levinson
> Herzliya, Israel
> nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com