Re: Trademark Infringement

Subject: Re: Trademark Infringement
From: Bryan Sherman <bsherm -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:34:55 -0400

Since you asked:

The original name for the Palm PDA was Pilot. The Pilot pen company
was unhappy. They changed the name to PalmPilot. The pen company was
still unhappy so they changed it to Palm.

I can't remember if it actually went to trial or US Robotics wanted to
avoid unnecessary litigation, but the end result was that they changed
the name to Palm. So even if there is little chance for confusion
(anyone have trouble discerning the difference between a ball point
and a PDA?) you may run afoul of trademarks.

To this day I will not buy or use a Pilot pen... and frankly they were
my favorite ball point. Yes I realize that a. it is a little silly and
b. has no discernible impact on Pilot's bottom line... but it makes me
feel better... lol

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:38:11 -0400, Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net> wrote:

> And, the result was?
>

> Peter

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com