Re: Anyone doing user interface work?

Subject: Re: Anyone doing user interface work?
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:02:43 -0600

Compared to the nifty tools that other people use, my UI work (and I've done
a lot it recently) is pretty prosaic: PaintShopPro 5. I'll mock them up -
a recent program included maybe 50 or so separate forms - and then hand them
over to the developer.

The advantage to using a program like this is that I can make an essentially
perfect fake UI. Web-based or client/server doesn't matter - they're just
drawings. The first time I showed some mockups at a meeting the developers
kept asking about the different dialogs in terms of what I mapped them to in
the DB. It took a while for them to realize it was just a drawing. I once
said in a meeting that they should consider me the Chief Forger. That
helped get the point across.

This method helps a lot with clients. We show them a mockup, explain how
it's going to be used, they make suggestions, I make the corrections they
want, and they give the OK. Visio diagrams are nice, but most clients get a
little more warm and cuddly when they see exactly what the software will
look like.

Paul Strasser
Ennovation, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 100
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-468-1164
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com