Re: The End Of Technical Writing Was RE: Re: a different resume red flag

Subject: Re: The End Of Technical Writing Was RE: Re: a different resume red flag
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:18:22 -0700

I think the big problem in our case is that the tools have ballooned in
complexity but not added anything that really benefits our particular
needs, and the latest additions sometimes cause problems with older
functions we do need because they're just add-ons made without any
real attention being given to the core functions, but that's probably a
subject for a different thread.

As for the PDFs, the rest of the company doesn't fiddle with Acrobat,
they're stuck with a cheaper third-party PDF writer for cost reasons,
and only a select few individuals in Publications and Marcom have full
Acrobat. I've tried the watched folder approach, but the throughput
of our global network crashed the effort every time. It's on the shelf
to try again when I'm able to grow the dept to put writing support in
every local node.

Gene Kim-Eng