Re: The End Of Technical Writing Was RE: Re: a different resume red flag

Subject: Re: The End Of Technical Writing Was RE: Re: a different resume red flag
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:20:55 -0400

I was talking to a carpenter the other day--a skilled craftsman who has framed and finished houses singlehandedly--and the subject of tools came up. He said to me, "Y'know, I'm just so frustrated these days. I have to spend all day long using tools. I never get to do any _real_ carpentry anymore."

Okay, no, I wasn't talking to a carpenter the other day. I just made that up. No carpenter I've ever known would make such an assertion.

And I wouldn't hire a carpenter who touted his ability to calculate the best way to cut materials to minimize waste but then couldn't operate a saw accurately enough to execute based on his calculations. I look for a carpenter who can interpret drawings, minimize waste, select the right tools for the job, and operate tools accurately and effectively.

When people go on and on around here protesting that they shouldn't have to waste their time learning to use tools well, I get the sense they're mostly trying to rationalize their lack of aptitude for tools. I say there's plenty of room for people whose talents lie in other directions (just as I wouldn't insist that an architect be able to build what she draws). As I've said before, division of labor is a good thing. But I'd be a lot more comfortable if instead of denigrating the importance of tools, these whiners just said, "Y'know, I'm not particularly interested in mastering that tool and I'm happy to have someone else do that part of the job while I concentrate on what I do well. Between us we can do great work." The key is mutual respect and cooperation.

Maybe (just maybe) someone who only writes and doesn't produce finished documents is worth more per hour than someone who has straw for brains when it comes to analysis and organization but is a real whiz at production. But I don't think either is as valuable as someone who does both pretty well. So instead of the constant smug denigration of tool-users (don't forget that tool use has a lot to do with what defines us human), it might be more lucrative to drop the negative attitude and try to learn a little more about the _rest_ of the job.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com