RE: Sarcasm; was: Re: ADMIN: RE: Re-entry Level

Subject: RE: Sarcasm; was: Re: ADMIN: RE: Re-entry Level
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:41:23 -0500

> While sarcasm is a form of irony, it is certainly a somewhat
> virulent form. By contrast, there are many who have
> marvelously ironic minds but who do not single out any
> particular targets to lambaste personally. Ambrose Bierce was
> a very good example of this quality.

I would have the same response to anyone who approached the entire list with
the same type of subtext (whose actual meaning I will not point out
explicitly to you either here or in private) as the "target" had.

> Also in my experience, people can develop habits of "...not
> taking fools lightly" and responding with automatic sarcasm.
> Unfortunately, too often their sarcasm is based upon a
> mistaken understanding of the first person's comments--but
> the sarcasm is unleashed when the realization strikes that it
> may have been unwarranted.

When such a subtext appears here, and is ignored without comment, it creates
an atmosphere in which such a subtext is seen as normal. Such a subtext is
appalling, and yet I do apologize if my own response/subtext to the subtext
upset any of you.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com