RE: Web design software

Subject: RE: Web design software
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:31:36 -0800

Other advantages of using Dreamweaver are:

1. Writing php and asp code on the fly. It's nothing an asp or php
programmer would be terribly impressed by, but it does write simple code in
a sorta' WYSIWYG manner if you can connect with the database directly. The
"details" part of the www.siwc.ca was done using Dreamweaver and NO
programming skills.

2. Dreamweaver extensions. There's a huge Dreamweaver development community
producing these things. Basically, Dreamweaver is extensible through addons
-- some free, some cost money, but save lots of time and effort (and
learning curve).

3. Dreamweaver templates. Don't think Frontpage templates here. DW templates
are actually useful and 'lock' structural and php code away from causual
fingers updating the pages.

4. Macromedia Contribute. This is a huge advantage. It's a very low cost CMS
designed to work best with Dreamweaver sites... Lets non-tech people update
content pages without mucking things up too much. Very shallow learning
curve... I've found that telephone support is usually enough.... and a
flyswatter for those whose formatting tendencies leave something to be
desired (this can be controlled to some degree)

And the css integration on MX 2004 is very nice!

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

I like Dreamweaver for many of the reasons already covered in this thread
and in the HTML Editor thread. I'm using an older version, MX, that doesn't
have CSS as well-integrated as the latest version, but I still like it for
its interface and clean code.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com