RE: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?

Subject: RE: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?
From: Julia Williams <Juliaw -at- kiwiplan -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:36:54 +1300

> Maybe it's a generational
> thing, but I do not go into a test session with the
> expectation that I
> should know in advance what is going to be asked

I don't expect to know what's going to be asked either, but I do find it
helpful to have at least a vague idea of what sort of test it will be. I
supposed that the original enquiry was of that nature, not a request for
specific details which would, I agree, be unethical. I may have been wrong.

I also envy you your lack of examination nerves but many people don't share
your placid nature.

> Presumably the company wants a fair way to compare the
> qualifications of
> writers and so they are going to ask questions writers should
> be able to
> handle.

That covers a fairly broad swathe. I want to know in advance what I should
be panicking about and what sort of nightmares I should have the night
before. I know it won't help me but I'm a pessimist - I want to know the
worst.

Trying to get a leg up on the competition by
> ferreting out more
> information about the test than the company offers you strikes me as
> cheating.

Well if it's general information such as "they give you an IQ test, and an
editing exercise" then what sort of advantage is that going to give?

There are volumes and volumes written about how to get a job at Microsoft
and about ways to answer popular interview questions. I've read a lot of
tips here that helped me to tweak my CV in ways I hadn't thought of myself.
Is that cheating?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com