Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?

Subject: Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:46:22 -0500

Julia Williams wrote:

I also envy you your lack of examination nerves but many people don't share
your placid nature.

It isn't nature. It's learned behavior. Test anxiety lowers test scores. My family didn't believe in low test scores. I learned not to be anxious. 'kay?

That covers a fairly broad swathe. I want to know in advance what I should
be panicking about and what sort of nightmares I should have the night
before. I know it won't help me but I'm a pessimist - I want to know the
worst.

Cute, but see above.

Well if it's general information such as "they give you an IQ test, and an
editing exercise" then what sort of advantage is that going to give?

If the information is not offered to all the rest of the candidates it's going to give you the advantage that you know something about the test they don't know.

There are volumes and volumes written about how to get a job at Microsoft
and about ways to answer popular interview questions.

Yes, that information is available to anyone who seeks it out. It is _published_ information and thus confers no special advantage.

I've read a lot of
tips here that helped me to tweak my CV in ways I hadn't thought of myself.
Is that cheating?

No, of course not, any more than washing your hair and putting on clean clothes is cheating. You should put your best foot forward, and those who fail to do so are only hurting themselves.

Look, I've done a lot of formal RFP work. One of the standard features of the proposal process is a question period during which all bidders may ask clarifying questions of the company soliciting the bids. The typical procedure is that the company then circulates a document back to the bidders. The document contains all of the questions that were asked--stripped of any information that would identify who asked the questions--together with the company's answers. That way, all bidders have exactly the same information when they prepare their bids.

It would have made perfect sense and been entirely ethical for the OP to ask Peoplesoft what to expect by way of a test and for Peoplesoft to send an email to all candidates with the answer to that question. That way everyone could come as prepared as everyone else. That is different from going back to the fraternity house and digging through the files for last year's exam, right?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com