Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?

Subject: Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:08:31 -0800 (PST)

-------------------------------
Dick Margulis wrote:
I like to be mentally prepared for tests, too. A good night's sleep,
green tea, perhaps a Times crossword to get the juices flowing, a brisk
walk around the block. All of those help. Maybe it's a generational
thing, but I do not go into a test session with the expectation that I
should know in advance what is going to be asked, nor does not knowing
engender any anxiety.

Yeah, I'm thinking in general it's a generational thing. When I was in school, I was always amazed at how much information my classmates wanted about their tests, right down to the exact questions that were going to be asked. Maybe it's a result of school policies that focus on teaching to standardized tests instead of teaching to learn a subject. Who knows, but I definitely saw some pretty interesting expectations when it came to knowledge about the content of an upcoming test. I also watch a couple of broadcasts from our local community college and the students in those classes do the same thing.

Just as a side note, I am more of Dick's mind and I've learned to do the kinds of things that he does to cope with test anxiety. Expect nothing, expect everything, and do the hard work -- study.

Now, to the poster's question. I did _not_ interpret it in the same way as Dick. I did think, hmm, that's interesting, because it reminded me of my school days, but I didn't see anything unethical in the question itself because I took it to be requesting high-level information and not specifics.

That's my two cents worth at least.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com