Re: Document Distribution

Subject: Re: Document Distribution
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:11:05 -0600

Kathleen,

Presumably, individual users should be generally informed about what
procedures apply to their jobs. The problem, then, is getting them to
take notice of changes.

I have several suggestions:

1. Do not allow printing copies of procedures--require them to be used
from the up-to-date intranet.

2. Require by a new, company-wide procedure that all employees are
required to be aware of official changes in the procedures they use.

3. Send a company-wide message regarding changed procedures by
procedure number or other identifying label--with clickable links to
the changed areas. This message should likely have a very brief
summary of changes.

4. Update the TOC for the procedures sections to include revision
dates for each affected identifying number or label.

With this combo, each person could in a few moments scan a list of
changed procedures for those that apply to them...and accountability
would be increased.

Then, should this not work, make the updates and changes messages
require a return from the individuals involved...

David

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:01:51 -0600, Parrott, Kathleen E.
<kathleen -dot- parrott -at- ngc -dot- com> wrote:

> Unlurking, unlurking....
>
> I have a problem that I hope someone here can help resolve. I am a Procedures Admin within a large government contracting company. Our procedures are published online after being amended and signed off by functional management.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com