Been googling lately?

Subject: Been googling lately?
From: "Stitzel, Ken" <kstitzel -at- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:27:53 -0700

[I sent this to some other address several days ago, but it's an interesting
topic to me. For your Thanksgiving pleasure--or indigestion, such as the
case may be....]

"Googling" is becoming a new-fangled verb, though it's usually connected
with dating:

http://www.wordspy.com/words/google.asp

(Refers to a cute title: "Don't Go Into Date Blind; Singles Googling Before
Canoodling".)

But why on earth wouldn't a boss or prospective employer google you?

Is your boss Googling you?
http://news.com.com/Is+your+boss+Googling+you/2100-1038_3-5421210.html

"Almost one in four Net surfers has searched online for information about
someone at work or a business contact, according to a new survey ...."

Someone googling me would find all of my TechWhirl postings (I hope this
would give pause to some knee-jerk flames that we get on this list),
numerous postings about music, many long discussions and flame wars about
trains and railroading, letters to the editor that I've written to the local
paper on a variety of political topics, and an number of postings in which I
admit that I've ridden around the west on freight trains. Some of this
information goes back to 1995.

A lot of this record is innocuous. And I suppose that if I encountered an
employer that objected to my having ridden the rails or expressed certain
kinds of political opinions, I wouldn't want to work for that employer,
anyway.

But, suppose I _did_ want a job from such an employer? I can't change my
online record--ever. If having such records of your posted opinions bothers
you, I suggest you think very carefully indeed about committing anything to
the Internet on this forum or any other. It may last a very long time.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you "google" yourself immediately.
You may be surprised at what you find.....

Ken Stitzel
Rent-a-fed tech writer kinda guy
Fort Collins, CO

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com