Re: Going wildly OT (Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old.. HERE WE GO!)

Subject: Re: Going wildly OT (Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old.. HERE WE GO!)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:18:34 +0000

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

They just need to accept that during those times in their professional lives when they are not focused on career they will end up being that part of the survey that earns xx% less than those who are
burning the candle at both ends with work.

To be honest, I find it increasingly hard to understand why people would want to pursue career success to the exclusion of anything else. I mean, it's not as though becoming Executive Director of Search Engine Optimization or Chief Technical Officer is comparable to writing a novel or doing original research or something else that's significant. It's just a living, no matter what people are told.

Speaking as someone who's been there, done that, worn the T-shirt and got the album featuring the original cast, it just doesn't seem worthwhile. Too often, the promise of advancement is just a carrot to encourage people to give up their lives for the company.

A lot of this feeling comes from the fact that, the other week, I heard about massive layoffs at a company where I recently worked. The layoffs included the company's top salesman, the system administrator, and the lead programmer. All these people put in hours of overtime to keep the place going. They never got anything except an occasional pizza or an hour off for a staff party, and, in the end, their loyalty wasn't returned in any way. I'm afraid I've seen this one-sidedness too many times for disillusionment not to have set in.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com