Re: negotiating salary for gov't job with posted pay range

Subject: Re: negotiating salary for gov't job with posted pay range
From: keithwriter -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:59:06 -0700

Bruce wrote:

> It may not be 1999 any more, but the basic realities of salary
> negotiation haven't changed. The bottom line of the bottom line: You are
> never in a better position to negotiate salary than when you are hiring.
> Don't settle for less just to be pleasant. Your employer won't do the
> opposite for you.

Good stuff, Bruce - thanks. All of that is in line with how I've
negotiated in the past. I'm just wary of some "secret handshake" salary
traditions that may be prevalent in government work, a concern that a
couple other posters' replies would seem to support.

Bottom line, I'll still walk in with three salaries in mind: the walkaway
salary, the right-in-the-strike-zone salary, and the praise-Jeeeeeezus
salary, with a strategy prepared for reacting to each kind of offer.

Thanks again!

- kc

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com